Saturday, January 2, 2010

100 Years of Tradition


My Great-Grandma passed away in 1956. My Grandma told me a million stories about her, her father and siblings.
As a very small child, I remember being in her dining room and seeing this huge plant in the archway. Of course, I was really little so I am not real sure how big the plant was. When Great-Grandma passed on, the plant, a Christmas cactus, went to my Great Aunt Loretta. She said her mother told her she got the Christmas cactus at the turn of the century when she began having children. My Grandma was born in 1905and was the 6th of 9 children. When Aunt Loretta died, several years ago,the cactus came from Illinois to me.
Well, the plant is still surviving and believe it or not, it blooms every Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. It is just beautiful and amazes me continually that it has flourished for so long. One hundred years and still blooming. Wow.

No comments: